......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

WFMW: cleaning the dishwasher & cloudy glasses


My WFMW tip for today is something that's on my to-do list, so I thought I'd go ahead and share it with the bloggy world while I'm at it.

If your dishwasher is leaving your glasses cloudy, this is the tip for you! Every so often I use Linda Cobb's (she is The Queen of Clean) recipe for cleaning my dishwasher, and as a bonus, it also clears up any cloudy glassware that you have hanging around.

It's very simple to do: First, load your dishwasher with ONLY glass items- no metal or plastic. Then, on the bottom rack, fill a cup (I use a measuring cup or a glass bowl) with one cup of household bleach. Leave that cup upright in the rack and run your dishwasher through the wash cycle (NO detergent). Then, stop it after the wash cycle, reset it, and fill the same cup with 1 cup of white vinegar. Run the regular cycle, and ::poof:: you have crystal clear glassware and a clean dishwasher.

It's very easy, and it works for me! Check out more WFMW tips over on Shannon's blog at Rocks In My Dryer.



12 comments:

  1. Amy,

    This is a fascinating idea! We definitely have cloudy glasses--seems even worse once I switched to combining store-bought and homemade detergent. I will have to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bookmarking this so I can try it out. I picked up some jet dry only to discover the circle next to the detergent dispenser was just a circle there, no opening for jet dry. It seems no matter what detergent I use I always get clouded glasses. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can put vinegar in your rinse agent dispenser all the time -- instead of buying that expensive about-mentioned stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got something for you over at my blog.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the dishwasher package it talks about this problem and they say that the problem is from the detergent etching the glassware. This is caused by too much detergent. If you have soft water it is worse and you should only use a total of 1T between the prewash tray and the soap dispenser. this has made a big difference for me. I will admit that over time there is still a cloudiness starting as time just eats away at the surface of the glassware. I would suggest never put antique glassware as it damages so easily.Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Thanks. I DID totally want to know how to do that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bleach and vinegar suggestion did not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We tried the bleach vinegar suggestion and the glasses are still cloudy :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I just found your post in a random web search for 'how to get clean glasses in the dishwasher.' I tried your suggestion and it totally worked for me!! I am amazed at the difference. We have a well with lots of calcium/lime that builds up on everything. I think this works well if you can do it before the etching problem starts - once the glass is damaged, bleach & vinegar (or anything else for that matter) won't work. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!