......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday- appropriately named?

I was trying to come up with something witty earlier about how the Black Friday shoppers are out of control, but I gave up, because really, the day did take on a dark turn. There's just nothing funny at all about a man being trampled to death because people are Christmas shopping. My husband ventured out to our local big box store around 6am, and bumped into a friend who had witnessed a fist fight. Later in the day, in the brief period that I went out (two stores, which was plenty for me) a cashier told us about the man who was trampled. What does it say about people who are supposed to be shopping for Christmas (peace on earth, goodwill to men, etc, etc.) when they get this crazy?

5 comments:

  1. I went out about 7pm to get a couple of things from Target. It was calm. I didn't even have to wait for a parking spot even though our closest Target is attached to a mall. There was no wait to check out either. I guess everyone was petered out by that time.

    I'm with you! There's no material thing so important that you have to fight or run over someone else for it. What a tragedy for that family and that store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid shopping on Black Friday because I don't think any sale price is worth being trampled! I'd rather go on Monday when everyone is back at work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about this story in the Houston Chronicle. It's disturbing. Why didn't they control how many people entered the store at a time? Why didn't they close the store when this happened? It's a sad statement about our society. I don't want to be part of that madness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the worst part of that story was that the shoppers wouldn't leave after it was announced that someone died. I mean, him dieing of course was the worst part but the disregard was just...shocking. For people to break down the door to go shopping & trample a man? It's awful.

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!