......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

WFMW: recording Christmas ornaments

In my family, it's tradition for each child to pick out a new Christmas ornament each year. My parents started this tradition because when they were newlyweds, they had no ornaments for their first tree, and no money to buy any, so they had to make their own. (Which I think is a neat story anyways, but that's not the point here.) Their thinking was that if the kids collected a new ornament every year, when they were out on their own, they'd have a good start to filling their own trees with ornaments. And as an adult, it's been fun for me to look back over my childhood ornaments- I have everything from a Wonder Woman ornament to a couple of Victorian ones. The phases of my life are represented in ornaments. :)

We've carried on the ornament-a-year tradition with our kids. Last year, I had a dose of inspiration as to how I wanted to record who got what each year. I bought two small Christmas photo albums- the ones that are just the size of 4x6" photos. Each year, I'm taking a picture of my children holding their ornament, and on the back of the photo, I'm jotting notes about why they chose that ornament, where we found it, etc.

Works for me! Check out more WFMW ideas over at Rocks in my Dryer!

P.S. If you've come to this post through a direct link, and you are so inclined, I'd appreciate it if you'd check out the prayer request I just posted. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea and a great way to document them. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few yrs ago I began giving our kids an ornament also. I don't document the ornament w/a picture - but I do place each special ornament (after wrapping it up if fragile) in a ziplock bag and on the outside write on it with a sharpie - the following a) who's ornament it is
    b) where it came from

    On the ornament itself I also place the owner's initial and year in case something gets mixed up.

    I too think think it will be fun once they are older, to look back and enjoy the collection they received over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to create a scrapbook of my ornaments for a couple years. Thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents gave us an ornament each year for the same reason--they had none of their own their first married Christmas. For a long time, they kept a typed record of what we got and from whom (typewriters made it easy to add on each year).

    I LOVE the photograph and notes idea, though! Definitely an idea to file away. Plus you can see your children grow in the pictures. Perfect! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is an AWESOME idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!