......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

CGM/ Pump Unit Approved

I'm interested to see what will happen now that the FDA has approved a combination CGM (continuous glucose monitor) and pump in one unit.      (A CGM measures blood glucose levels in a different way than a traditional finger stick... meaning that finger sticks still have to be used to calculate insulin dosage... but the CGM can alert the user to trends and potential problems.) 

I am hoping that my daughter will be ready for a pump & CGM in June, but she hasn't decided for sure yet. One of her concerns about it is exactly what this will eliminate... the need for two seperate devices to be worn 24/7.  It would be awesome if the combination unit was available for her, though I realize that it probably won't be an option for her right away.

One less piece of equipment will simplify care... and hopefully means that we're that much closer to automating the insulin doses, as well!


1 comment:

  1. It will be exciting when this device actually comes out!!

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!