......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Confessions of a closet NASCAR fan

Not much planned for today.... church, a quick trip to the party supply store for DD's upcoming birthday, and a trip to either Target or Meijer for a few items. Oh, and watching the NASCAR race!


If you'd have told me ten years ago that I'd ever watch NASCAR, let alone follow it and know things about most of the drivers, I would have laughed. After all, what's so exciting about grown men driving in circles?


Well, I don't know why, but a couple of years ago I started to watch the races. It was a passing interest at first... the same way I tolerate any other sport that DH watches. I'd sit with him and read or scrapbook while he watched the race. Then, I started actually watching the races. Now, I can not only keep up with the statistics DH talks about, but sometimes I know almost as much as he does about what's happening with which drivers. That always seems to surprise DH, since when he talks about pretty much any other sport I respond with a glazed look in my eyes and "umm-hmmmm".

We root for three different cars in this household. I'm a Matt Kenseth (#17) fan, and my DH is a Jeff Gordon (#24) fan, and DD picks a car each week based on color or sponsor... lately she's been pretty fond of the "M & M" car (David Gilliand).
And in case you're wondering... I know you are...I have a very scientific reason (ha ha) for picking Kenseth. About five years ago, before he was really a big name, I watched a race where he was hit, did a couple of loops in the grass, and turned around and got right back into the race. I was impressed, and declared myself his fan right then and there. The next year (2003) he won the Winston Cup... can I pick 'em, or what?!

Hey, and even if you're not a NASCAR or a Kenseth fan, you'll want to pay attention to the race results. If he wins on Sunday, Arby's will give you free fries on Monday!
In today's race he's starting 37th, which is not a great position. Apparently, he crashed during the qualifying rounds... thank goodness he wasn't hurt, and can still run today. But, he swept California two weeks ago, so I have confidence in him. Go #17!

No comments:

Post a Comment

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!