Today Stephanie asks, What are some of the different ways that you have been able to make time to spend in God's Word and in prayer, during the changing seasons of your life? What techniques worked for you? Where did you schedule it in?
I'm in that can't-go-to-the-bathroom-alone phase of life. My kids can play contentedly with each other while I'm in the room, but let me sneak upstairs to flip a load of laundry or into the other room to check my email, and they will be on my heels in about two seconds. Finding quiet time to pray and reflect? Not likely!
My solution? Well, no one thing works for me every day. I work part-time, and on my at-home days, I'm busy with the kids. I try to fit in little bits and pieces throughout my day. Here are a few of my tricks:
- Use my quiet driving time. On those occasions when I'm alone in the car, I quite often pray and reflect on things in my life. I also use driving time to pray the rosary (using a free CD from Catholicity).
- I've recently become a fan of K-Love Christian radio. I know it sounds corny, but I really enjoy the positive, uplifting messages throughout the day. I have K-Love on while I'm doing other things, and not only am I hearing the messages, but my kids are, too.
- Use driving time with the kids- we sing a lot of VeggieTales songs!
- Use various Google gadgets so that a Bible passage appears on my home page. Every time I get online to print a quick chicken recipe or update my blog, His word is right there. I have another Google gadget on my homepage that reads the daily mass readings out loud- sometimes I'll click on those, as well.
- I pray throughout the day. If I read about a prayer request online, I pray right then and there. When we drive past an ambulance or a traffic crash, the kids and I pray for those involved. It just takes a minute, and I'm likely to forget if I don't do it right away.