......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sotomayor for Justice?

*I apologize if you're reading this in a feed reader-- for some reason my draft kept going "live" before I was finished writing it!


Check out this article: Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Nominee: All You Need to Know. I'm already hearing from people who have formed an opinion for or against her nomination. I really don't know much about her, so right now I'm kind of on the fence.
  • Politics aside, I have to admit that I like the fact that she's a Type One Diabetic-- that might bring some much-needed attention to our cause. Of course, that really doesn't have any bearing on how she'd do as a justice.

  • I don't like that she's yet another politician who is a "cafeteria" Catholic. A White House source is quoted multiple places online as saying that she only attends church for family functions and important holidays. And already there's plenty of talk about another "wafer watch" happening. Ugh.

  • I don't like the fact that nobody can confirm where she stands on abortion based on her past rulings. "She's ruled on only three cases indirectly related to abortion and in each case she took the position preferred by the pro-life forces, albeit for reasons unrelated to the merits of abortion." (quote from Is Sotomayor and Abortion Centrist? @ Beliefnet) I'd like to think that as a Catholic it's a given that she'd be proLIFE, but, well... see also: Joe Biden.

What do you think? Would you choose Sonia Sotomayor for Justice?

1 comment:

  1. No I would not choose her. It's scary and especially since she thinks she is a better thinker or whatever than a white man. Why does that even need to be said? There are plenty of white men who are very smart (my DH is one of them) and plenty who aren't just like there is the same among the Hispanic population all you have to do is go to Walmart to see that in action. Oh I also noticed where she is being called single, she isn't single she is a divorcee and has a boyfriend - let's call it what it is. Sorry, off my box now although I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!