I've been making a real effort lately to use reusable totes when I go shopping. We always had a giant bag stuffed full of plastic shopping bags hanging around our kitchen, and it was a source of constant annoyance for me. Sure, we used them to tie up stinky diapers and to line small trash cans, but still, it seemed that I was constantly picking them up or moving them around. Plus, I didn't want to spend money to get the reusable bags when the plastic ones were free.
Now, have three big bags that I received for free, I remember to take them (nearly) every time I go shopping, and the stash of plastic bags I have to store at home is nearly gone.
My super-secret trick to making sure that I use them? Store them in the trunk of my car. I know, it's brilliant, right? ::smacking self on forehead:: LOL!! I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of that, but, hey, at least it's working for me now.
If you're considering making the switch, there are plenty of free totes for the asking. Here are a couple I found with a quick Google search:
- Kroger shoppers, create a design for a free reusable shopping bag on their website and you'll get a coupon for a free reusable bag to pick up in your local store.
- Fill out the survey to become a member of the Rice Select Flavor Club, and you'll receive a free tote and a coupon.
- Green4Better will send you a bag in the color of your choice just for asking. (Note: when I clicked on this one it sent me to a second page with a coupon offer. I clicked away from the coupon page... hopefully the bag will still come!)
- If you can sew or knit, here are 35 free patterns to make your own bags.
- Or, maybe you can sew some cool placemat totes like my friend Sarah recently made.
Actually remembering to use my reusable totes instead of plastic bags... that definitely works for me! Check out more great WFMW tips HERE.