......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Diabetic Nightmare

A few days ago I read the horrible news... Type I Diabetes has taken another young life.  This time it was a  13 year-old girl who had good care and involved parents, but simply didn't wake up one morning.

For those outside of the D-world, you've probably never even heard of our worst nightmare.  There's something called "dead in bed" syndrome that sometimes happens without any warning.  Type I Diabetics sometimes simply pass away in the middle of the night, even though they had no apparent symptoms that anything was wrong.  

It is this nightmare of a possibility that causes me to wake up each and every morning praying that DD is OK.  It doesn't matter how many times I've checked her blood sugar during the night.  It doesn't matter if she's snuck into bed with me and is sleeping right next to me when I wake.  It is always, always, always the first thing I think about when I wake up.   I start each day with a prayer before my feet ever hit the floor.

Kerri posted at Six Until Me about the fears and the emotions that ripple through the diabetic community when something like this happens.  Kerri reminds us that "dead in bed" syndrome is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to Type I Diabetes.  I know that.... really, I do.  But I pray now, as I do every day, that there will soon be a cure so that no more families have to face this nightmare.


2 comments:

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!