......................................
Have you heard? I've started a separate blog,
The Sugar Sharks, all about our life with Type I Diabetes.
.....................................

Saturday, December 22, 2007

An open letter to those who donate gifts to nursing homes

Dear Anonymous Donors,
We here at the nursing home appreciate the fact that you have thought of our residents and wish to share some holiday spirit with them. It's most kind of you, and we truly appreciate your time and effort.

However, as a quick note of business, I must request that in the future you refrain from bringing a few particular "gifts". The hotel soaps with the dirty wrappers that obviously have been in your cupboards for several years? No, we don't want those, either- go ahead and toss them. And the USED make-up compact that you wrapped up? No, thank you... would you have gifted that to a family member if you had to sign your name on the tag? Nope, I didn't think so!

As for the rest of you... wow, your generosity overwhelms me. The clothing, books, candy, bath products... it's all SO nice. We actually had a couple of residents who got teary-eyed when opening their gifts. And a few of them were just absolutely perfect- one lady opened a beautiful sweater that was exactly her style (delicate pastel flowers)-- it's amazing to me how an anonymous gift sometimes fits someone so perfectly.

It's so much fun for us to play elves and deliver your thoughtful gifts to them! I really wish I had taken a picture of my office yesterday-- that many gifts in one small space would make any Grinch smile. :)

Please know that on behalf of nursing home residents and staff everywhere, I want to say a big thank you to the angels who show up every year at this time. Many of my residents wouldn't have any Christmas gifts without you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S. For those of you who don't know, I work two days a week as the Activity Director at a nursing home. This was my full-time job before I had kids.

2 comments:

  1. I can completely echo your sentiments both positive and negative. My favorite story is the double-leg amputee who was given socks. Unbelieveably, I've had this happen twice! You'd think someone would notice the missing feet knowing they were giving socks. But oh well, the generousity behind it is the most important part! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Amy! I wish you a wonderful Christmas together with your family and friends.

    I do understand your mixed feelings about donations. We do get a lot of strange things too. The place where I work is also the base for different volunteer projects in the area and sometimes we get the place crowded with boxes for the poor. Most of the time there are really nice things but then every now and then we get stuff that go straight to the trash can. :-(

    ReplyDelete

* Thanks for visiting my blog! * The opinions expressed here are mine. I welcome your comments and discussion, but please, like we tell our children, "use your manners"!